Sunday, January 21, 2007

la segunda mitad de Eva Luna

I got a lot more from the second half of Eva Luna than I did the first. What was interesting for me was reading about Comandante Rogelio and his quest for liberty and equality for all. His argument that violence originates from within the government is quite thought provoking. I think that the discussion between Eva (representing the viewpoint of Comandante Rogelio) and Mimí regarding the Comandante’s revolution raises very important questions. Is Mimí right in that every man who attains power will eventually abuse it? If Huberto Naranjo succeeded in his revolution, do you think he would have acted with arrogance as Mimí predicited? Mimí calls Eva’s viewpoint naïve and argues that what needs to change in this world is attitudes, and I’d have to agree with her there. But how do we change attitudes? I have a hard time believing that killing people (for example, the guerillas killed the two police officers in the book) is the right way to solve the social and political problems situated in the world. Is there any other way of creating change? Anyways, I know I’m babbling so I’ll change the subject. A mí me parecía un poco extraño que Allende revela casi al final de la novela la importancia de la luna. Eva desesperadamente infeliz explica que la luna la tranquiliza como siempre había hecho a través de su vida.

Es interesante que algunas de las críticas que recibe Eva de su escritura (capítulo 10) aplique también a ésta novela. Se puede describir el libro como “un enredo de personajes estrambóticos, de anécdotas inverosímiles.” (238) Este muestra al lector la conexión entre Allende y Eva y también que a Allende no le importa seguir las reglas. “Seguí a ese ritmo sin acordarme de las recomendaciones recibidas.” (235) También Eva explica que “no sabía hacia dónde iba ni cuál sería el desenlace, si es que lo había.” (235) No me gustó el desenlace de la novela. Aunque fuera obvio desde el principio que Eva y Rolf se enamoraría, yo no lo podría creer cuando sucedió realmente. A mí su amor parecía bastante inventado y artificial.

No comments: